Friday, June 13, 2014

Cancer Fighters: Women are the Majority


So far, my professional life can be divided into two categories: Special education teaching and cancer-fighting non-profits.  Clearly, my heart took me to where the women were and not where the money was. And even though my career path hasn’t helped me find “the one” yet, it has put me in contact with many passionate cancer-fighting women.  For that, I am very thankful.

Both the American Cancer Society and 15-40 have men who head these organizations, but a majority of the people who make each company function are women. They are the ones organizing the Relay for Life events, volunteering, and speaking to help put an end to cancer. They are the survivors who are doing something to fight back. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of men who are fighting back, but most are women. Weird because statistically, males get cancer more than females.

Through my work at the ACS and 15-40, I have seen firsthand how dedicated so many women are to putting an end to this horrible disease.  They make me want to be the best cancer-fighter I can be, and I’m better for knowing them. Cancer awareness and fighting back simply would not be where it is today without women. May all the females and males participating in a Relay for Life today have a successful event…As always, F- CANCER! 

No comments:

Post a Comment